Thursday, August 4, 2011

My Prime Rib

.

I love Solomon. First of all, he was a hopeless romantic. Consider my favorite passage from the Song of Songs:


1 How beautiful you are, my darling! Oh, you are beautiful! Your eyes behind your veil are like doves. Your hair is like a flock of goats streaming down Mount Gilead.

2 Your teeth are white like newly sheared sheep just coming from their bath. Each one has a twin, and none of them is missing.

3 Your lips are like red silk thread, and your mouth is lovely. Your cheeks behind your veil are like slices of a pomegranate.

4 Your neck is like David's tower, built with rows of stones. A thousand shields hang on its walls; each shield belongs to a strong soldier.

5 Your breasts are like two fawns, like twins of a gazelle, feeding among the lilies.

6 Until the day dawns and the shadows disappear, I will go to that mountain of myrrh and to that hill of incense.

7 My darling, everything about you is beautiful, and there is nothing at all wrong with you.



Solomon certainly loved him some Shulamite woman. Long neck and all. (After all, there is nothing wrong with her at all. And as a bonus, she has all of her teeth!)



But Solomon was also the wisest guy who ever lived. Combine the two and you have someone who really knows his stuff when it comes to romantic love. I also love the fact that Solomon was carnivorous!



Consider what he wrote in Proverbs 15:17;



A bowl of vegetables with someone you love is better than steak with someone you hate. (NLT)

Solomon knew that a vegetarian diet was lame-o. But he would rather eat his peas with Mrs. Solomon than have a Porterhouse with a business associate. Listen again, this time from the CEV;



A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred.



Solomon and I share something else in common. (I’ll let you decide if I mean wisdom, romanticism, or a love of red meat.) Obviously, I mean that we both have something that makes life worth living. And today marks year number 21. Twenty-one years of waking up next to my sweetie-pie, my snookie-lumps, my prime rib, my good thing.



And so, once again this August 4th, I give a little extra praise to God; for knowing the make-up of my DNA and for completing my life by giving to me the same gift He gave so long ago to Adam-- bone of my bone, flesh of my flesh, and an eternal mate for my soul.

Happy Anniversary Patty Dawn Anderson Leigh. You complete me.

No comments: