Monday, August 2, 2010

In God We Trust

.


Some trust in chariots, and some in horses; but we will remember the name of the Lord our God. Psalm 20:7 (NKJV)



Before his 1971 fight with Joe Frazier, Muhammad Ali said, "There's not a man alive who can whip me. I am the greatest! I am the king! I should be on a postage stamp - that's the only way I'll get licked!". Ali lost to Frazier.



When confidence in our abilities and resources changes to pride and then becomes arrogance, there's trouble ahead: "Pride goes before destruction and haughtiness before a fall.” (Proverbs 16:18) Or, as Jeremiah said 2500 years ago, "If you brag, brag of this and this only: That you understand and know me." (9:23-24)


 
So how do we find balance? Simply by remembering that every gift, ability, talent, and resource we have has come from God. There's nothing sinful about recognizing and confessing what God has provided, but the difference between self-confidence and Christ-honoring confidence is found in who gets the credit. A good way to keep this at the forefront of our life is to practice the art of thanksgiving. It's hard to be too self-confident when we acknowledge we are nothing without God. The apostle Paul said I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. That translates into living confidently - as long as your confidence is in Christ.

No comments: