Thursday, June 17, 2010

How 'Bout Them Dawgs!

So I know this may seem cheesy and all, but as I was walking from the convention center to the hotel, I get a "How 'bout them dawgs!"




(Now, for those of you with the misfortune of not being born in Georgia, that is like our universal aloha. It works coming or going.)



I had on one of my ubiquitous GA golf shirts, and had received the haling many, many times though out the convention. Currently, I had snagged about two dozen copies of SBC Life for some of my congregants, and was struggling with the load, notebook, Bible, etc. Without even looking up I said back, Aloha (translated into Georgian: "How 'bout them Dawgs?") Please do not miss the suttle variations in diction and tone. And drawl.


I saw a blue suited man walk by out of the corner of my eye, (mind you this is all in the time it takes to have this two sentence conversation) and realize "I recognize that voice." It was James Merritt. Now I listen to him quite a bit on the radio and catch him when I can on TV. What I like best about James is his unabashed loyalty to God's Team.



So I turned and said "Mr. Merritt." Not Dr., not James, not Brother. Nope MR Merritt. I am not sure where that came from. We laughed about it. He told me to call him James, and we spoke for a couple of minutes about the Promised Land. Good times.



Oh, by the way...How 'bout them Dawgs!

No comments: