Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Perfect 10

.
When I lived in Georgia, I worked for a company called Perfection-Schwank. Perfection was started in the late 1890’s as a manufacturer of oil burning space heaters. Through the years it added gas heating appliances to its repertoire, and I worked there as a gas engineer. I never really liked the name though. There was just something egotistical about calling ones self “Perfection,” and as an engineer with the company, let me tell you we were not even close.

There is another application with this word “perfection.” I still feel as though there is something egotistical about calling ones self perfect; however, the Bible says that we should call someone perfect. Me!
Oh...OK, and you, too.

Listen to the writer of Hebrews: “With one sacrifice he made perfect forever those who are being made holy.” (10:14 NCV) Notice the word is “perfect.” It is not better. Not improving. Not enhancing, or trying. God doesn't improve, better, or try; He perfects. He doesn't enhance; he completes!

Remember back in the seventies when people were ranked on a scale of 1-10. She’s an 8½. He’s a 9. What-ever that meant. Everybody think of Dudley Moore and Bo Derek! (And if you get that reference with-out Googling it, you're showing your age!)  Me? I was always a ten! As in, “Steve can eat ten Krystal burgers.” “He’s on his tenth piece of pizza.” "The boy just ate ten chicken legs!" “Quick! Go get ten Rolaids!” Well, we are all ten’s in God’s eyes. Listen to James, “But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.”(1:4) And David in Psalm 18, “As for God, His way is perfect; The word of the Lord is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him. For who is God, except the Lord? And who is a rock, except our God? It is God who arms me with strength, And makes my way perfect.”

Yes, yes, I know. We are BEING made perfect. Nevertheless, God speaks in terms of what has already been accomplished through Jesus Christ. That means God sees the completed work now, even though the actual completion is miles down the road. One day I will be perfect, sinless, and holy. But the important thing is that God sees me in that light of perfection right now. In other words- When He sees each of us, He sees one who has been made perfect through the One who is perfect–Jesus Christ. My wonder of His love for each of us never ceases.


You know...I think I quite like being a perfect 10!


Thank you, Jesus.

No comments: