Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Where Ever Is Heard An Encouraging Word

So it's baseball season again!? Wow! South Carolina is the reigning National Champions in baseball, so living around here these days there is a lot of focus on baseball. And rightfully so. I mean, they can't win in football...sooooo. (Ha! That's for all the glee I heard recently on the patently false rumors about our QB Aaron Murray's "broken" ankle!)




Actually, those two things got me thinking. About baseball and encouragement (versus football and discouragement, I suppose! Ehh. Only 5 month, 4days, and 12 hours till kick off. UGA vs Boise State. ****sigh*** Georgia Football, where these days Never Is Heard An Encouraging Word!) But I digress. I WAS talking about baseball. And encouragement. Which reminds me of a story about Willie Mays.



Willie Mays began his major league baseball career with only one hit in his first 26 at-bats. Though he went on to hit 660 home runs, and steal more than 300 bases, his debut was so unimpressive it seemed unlikely he would last more than a few weeks in the big-leagues, let alone become one of the greatest to play the game. The turning point for Mays occurred when his manager, Leo Durocher, found him crying in the dugout after yet another miserable performance at the plate. The coach put his arm around Mays and said, "What's the matter, son?" Mays said, "I can't hit up here. I belong in the minor leagues." Durocher said this to Willie Mays: "As long as I'm manager of the Giants, you'll be my centerfielder." Durocher simply said, "I know that you can make it."



Is there someone in your life who needs your vote of confidence? Someone who's ready to give up? Someone who no longer believes in their ability to do what God has called them to do? You have the opportunity to lift them up. Your words — your confidence — can help get them back on track. Paul said, “Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as you are in fact doing. (1 Thessalonians 5:11 )





Take a look around you today. Somewhere near you there may be a future Hall-of-Famer who needs a good word from you. Give them some encouragement. Build them up. Be a positive influence. It will go along way toward helping them...and you!

No comments: