Saturday, August 29, 2009

OK, One More Thought

The more I thought about the last Lesson of the Goose, the more I thought about Mark 14 and Jesus at Simon the Leper’s house. Here’s the story...

And being in Bethany at the house of Simon the leper, as He sat at the table, a woman came having an alabaster flask of very costly oil of spikenard. Then she broke the flask and poured it on His head. 4 But there were some who were indignant among themselves, and said, “Why was this fragrant oil wasted? 5 For it might have been sold for more than three hundred denarii and given to the poor.” And they criticized her sharply. 6 But Jesus said, “Let her alone. Why do you trouble her? She has done a good work for Me. 7 For you have the poor with you always, and whenever you wish you may do them good; but Me you do not have always. 8 She has done what she could. Mark 14:3-8 (NKJV)

Why is it that we who follow the Great I Am, are the ones who are first to shout, “You can’t” every time a new plan arises? For those who see the world as the half empty glass, notice that these people “criticized her sharply.” It is so sad to see fresh ideas and enthusiasm dashed with the cold water of legalism and orthodoxy, even when it’s a half glass. Stop barking discouragement and start honking encouragement!

This woman’s passion was for Jesus and she got pounded for it. Notice Jesus says that she did what she could. What could she do?

Could she sing? That seems to be valuable in the church world. I don’t know.

Could she teach? Another commodity desperately in need. Again, I have no clue.

Could she give lots of money? This seems as the only criteria some have for judging worth in the church. Obviously she had means, because the perfume was expensive, about a year's salary. Probably $35,000 in today’s economy. But it is also possible this represented her life’s savings. But again, I don’t know.

What I do know is that she could love Jesus. And she did.

Oh how I long to always be the opposite of the Ephesian church of Revelation 2, full of correct doctrine, but cold in its application. How I long to never lose my first love, to have correct doctrine, yes, but also to see it fully implemented in my life.

There are many who see the glass half empty. Half empty treasuries. Half empty pews. Half empty ministries.
There are few who see the pews half full. Full of potential and simply awaiting someone to fill them. You know, I serve the Great I Am, not the Great I Can’t. Through Him all things are possible. I’m just gonna keep on honking encouragement until His appearing.

Even so, Lord Jesus, come!

No comments: