Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Totally Depraved

.

Not many people would enjoy being called depraved; much less totally so. But the doctrine of Total Depravity is very freeing and liberating. It means that every essence of our being is tainted by sin. Everything that I can think or do is tainted by sin, and it will be so until I reach Glory.  In our fallen state, our very nature is oriented against God, and the bent of our will is evil from the beginning.

St Augustine said that the only reason we think a baby is good, is because he doesn’t have the power to show us just how evil he really is...yet. Augustine also said that, “If a baby had the strength when he emerged from the mother’s womb, he would seize the mother by the neck and demand his milk.”

I guess what I’m saying is that the doctrine of depravity is comforting to me because it shows me that sanctification is not up to me. Look, you may be surprised that you’re evil, but it is no revelation to God. All I can say to that is Hallelujah!

Paul says in Romans 7:24, “Who will rescue me from this body of death?” In Romans 8:1 he answers his own question. “Therefore, no condemnation now exists for those who are in Christ Jesus.” 

I am totally depraved, but thanks to God, I didn't stay that way. I think that's what Solomon meant when he wrote "I have always tried my best to let wisdom guide my thoughts and actions. I said to myself, 'I am determined to be wise.' But it didn’t work."

The only way any of us can be saved is through the power and grace of God. The power of Holy Spirit changes our nature by abiding with us, keeping us, sanctifying us, and raising us by His power.

No comments: