Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Those Evil, Vile, Calvinists

.


So it should come to no surprise to those who know me that my theology is pastorally driven. In other words, I believe that the doctrines of the faith are of critical importance, and that it is the duty of each individual Believer to know the basics of the faith. However, when someone has just suffered a great loss, or they are in pain either emotional or physical, or they are in the middle of a crisis, they don’t really care too much about how theologically sound you are or what your view on particular redemption might be. They want/need to know about a loving God. As I like to tell the church folks, people don’t care how much you know, until they know how much you care.


And, unfortunately, there are those among us who care more about finding out your doctrinal proclivities ahead of the needs of your heart. That’s one of the reasons I like Rick Warren. He is very practical in theological application. His preaching may not be doctrinally focused, but it is certainly not shallow. Rick has been under a relentless attack from some of the people that I respect the most, theologically anyway. So when I saw that John Piper had interviewed Rick, I thought, “Boy, that will be a doosey.”

The interview is 98 minutes and can be seen here. Warren Interview

That got me to thinking about this Doctrine thing. By “us”, I mean us Baptists. If you're an Arminian, I have all of eternity to show you how wrong you were. But in this life, I choose to minister instead of argue.

No comments: