Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The Awful Loneliness Of Silent Wednesdays



.

Isn’t it incredible that with all that was happening around Jerusalem on that Wednesday, that Jesus chose to be “silent”: to do nothing that was recorded? Of all the miracles that needed to be done; the teaching that was needed for the people, the healings that He could have accomplished, the hungry that could have been fed, and the depressed that could have been cheered by Jesus’ presence. The scholars tell us He most likely stayed at the home of Lazarus and his sisters.

But I don’t think it is strange, necessarily. If you are a Christ follower for long enough there will come a time when God will be silent. In the midst of your hurts, needs, depression, loss, hunger, and desperation--when you passionately need to hear from God and all your ears pick up are birds chirping and crickets singing--- you will wonder “Why?”

It is like we are going through a wilderness experience but we are actually going through a “Silent Wednesday.” Eventually we all will encounter questions of our faith, and when we seek an answer, God will be silent. Why is that? I think He is teaching us that when there are times when we don’t hear God, we need to read God. If you have gone through, or are going through, a Silent Wednesday, let me encourage you to read the Word. God has not abandoned you. He is still there. And He wants you to focus on Him in the silent times by focusing on His Scriptures. 


What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? Romans 8:31


Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.Philippians 4:6-8


For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.Romans 8:18


Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.Isaiah 41:10


I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world. John 16:33


He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken.  Psalm 62:2


Take heart, friend. God is with you, even on a silent Wednesday!

The Awful Loneliness Of Silent WednesdaysIf you are a Christ-Follower for long enough, there will come a time when God...
Posted by The Lake on Wednesday, April 1, 2015

No comments: